JOIN THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Joe Goode Performance Group Board plays a vital role in supporting the mission of JGPG. Board members come to JGPG from varied backgrounds and familiarity with the organization, whether longtime fans of Joe’s work, participants in adult movement classes, or supporters of the arts ecosystem more generally.
In its official capacity, the Board of Directors governs and holds fiduciary responsibility for JGPG. The primary means of governance are:
- Understanding the mission and history of the organization.
- Setting policy and providing direction for the organization by establishing a multi-year strategic plan, approval of the annual budget and monitoring financial performance.
- Hiring and overseeing the Executive Director.
Our Board are also thought leaders and collaborators in visioning the future of the organization, and active members of a community that includes staff, artists, and other stakeholders making the organization a success.
Expectations of Board Service at JGPG
Board members attend regular meetings with some added committee engagement; support the financial sustainability of JGPG; and contribute performance, event and marketing support.
- Attend regular board meetings, bimonthly on the third Tuesday of the month.
- Be supported by fellow board members and staff to receive orientation to JGPG’s history, programs, equity work, budget, and strategic plan.
- Attend the organization’s key events and activities, which might include seeing a show, taking part in a class or talk, mingling at a donor event, calling a donor, etc.
- Whenever possible, engaging personal and professional contacts by inviting them to join you at public programs, performances, and/or fundraising events, to support broadening the organization’s reach and base of support.
- Sign on for a three-year term, renewable once (max 6-year term).
- Willingness to participate in a committee or project group such as Fundraising, Board recruiting, Strategic planning, or Equity/Anti-Racism Initiatives.
- Make an annual financial contribution: a minimum of $1,000, or an amount on par with your other annual charitable giving, as well as purchasing tickets to fundraising events and performances. Ticket prices generally range from $10-125.
All Board members will complete a Statement of Understanding, accepting these responsibilities.
Benefits of Joining the Board
Our highest aspiration is to attract Board members that are both committed to the arts and to the innovative work of JGPG.
If you join us, you will:
- get an inside view of Joe Goode’s creative process and the development of new performance pieces.
- be inspired by the community and culture built around the JGPG.
- make new connections and friends with other board members, dancers, staff, and the extended JGPG family.
- gain valuable board member experience.